Wednesday March 18th at 8pm The dictionary defines trivia as “pieces of information of little importance or value”. For our March trivia night, we’ll be following this definition and abandoning all themes, pulling out our juiciest useless facts. Be prepared for questions on anything from peanut butter sandwiches to Ancient Greece to 80s rock bands. Anything goes! NOTE: Seating is first come, first served. There will be a limit of 6 people per team.
What are Phenols? Phenols are a broad class of organic compounds that add both desirable and undesirable flavours to beer. While phenolics are generally known for producing off-flavours, they can contribute positive flavouring compounds too. Approximately 75% of beer phenolics come from malt, while the other 25% from hops. In barley, the husk and tissue layer just beneath the husk contains the majority of the malt phenolics. Hops actually have significantly higher levels of phenolics than malt, but they are used in much smaller quantities, so contribute fewer phenolics overall. Low levels of phenolics add flavour and contribute to a …
Women in Music Vol. 11 – Save the Date! Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 6 PM As always, Lora Ryan is busy putting together a stellar lineup for the next Women in Music Showcase. Tickets will be available soon, so be sure to save the date! For lineup and additional info, follow the links below: https://www.facebook.com/womeninmusicto/ https://www.instagram.com/womeninmusicto/
James King & The Midnight Hours Friday, March 6 at 9PM James King & The Midnight Hours is a retro-style classic rock trip. The group is comprised of Toronto-based artists featuring Gaby Grice on keys and vocals, Richard Lam on lead guitar, Mike Lee on drums, Daniel Williston on bass and vocals, and James King as songwriter, frontman and lead vocalist. Influenced by many of the great rock acts of the 70’s, James King & The Midnight Hours are an event. Theatrical, mystical and sensuous, their style ranges from three-part harmony-drenched rock to wild psychedelic ragers.
Legion of Saints, Field Study and Countless Numbers Saturday, March 21 at 9PM Legion of Saints is a four-piece independent alternative-rock band based out of Ottawa. Their songs feature intricate guitar hooks and catchy choruses, with a sound that embraces a mix of high and low distortion guitars, low to mid-range punchy bass and powerful drums. Band members include lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist Bryce Atkinson, lead guitarist Floro Bely Jr., bassist Shawn Bowser, and drummer Sebastian Bax. Active since 2010, the band has been busy performing high-energy shows, while promoting their newest EP Killing the Silence (2019). Countless Numbers tell their …
Henderson’s Best 5.5%, Henderson Brewing Henderson’s Best is an award-winning brew with a modern take on a classic English Ale. Moderately hopped and malt-forward, this beer has a mild floral nose and caramel flavours. It is well-balanced, smooth, and easy drinking.
Star Appeel 5%, Common Good Beer Co. The Good Tap is a monthly rotating tap feature curated by the Society of Beer Drinking Ladies. This month, the Ladies and Common Good Beer Co. bring us Star Appeel. A perfect brew for the winter season, Star Appeel is a dark German lager, spiced with Asian tangerine peel and star anise. Donations of $1 for every pint and $0.50 from every half pint will go directly to the Ladies charity of choice, the Canadian Women’s Foundation.
What is a White Stout? A contentious beer style for many, the white stout has reputation for inspiring arguments among beer drinkers. Some call it gimmicky – remember Crystal Pepsi? – while others have embraced it as a fun and unique beer style. Although it is not officially recognized as a beer style, the White or Pale Stout, is made from a blonde or golden ale base with the same yeast and hops used in a more traditional stout. Green or blonde coffee and cacao nibs are added to impart stout-like flavours of coffee and chocolate with a balanced acidity. …
The Hot Five 31st Anniversary Shows Saturday, February 8th, 15th and 22nd, 3PM to 6PM The Hot Five Jazzmakers played the first ever Saturday matinee at C’est What, originally taking the stage on February 11, 1989. To celebrate their 31st anniversary, the band will play three shows this month starting on Saturday, February 8th.
The Hiltz Family Singers Thursday, February 27th at 8PM Featuring the incredible voices of Shannon Butcher, Jessica Lalonde, and Melissa Lauren, the Hiltz Family Singers performs acoustic vocal music with lyrics drawn from early Canadian poetry. Composer and guitarist Nathan Hiltz explores the art of guitar accompaniment, drawing from folk, jazz, and classical traditions using acoustic steel, nylon, and archtop guitars. Catch the Hiltz Family Singers during their three-month residency at C’est What, with shows on the last Thursday of each month, beginning February 27th.